The task for the 4th semester, was to make an electric motor solution for a product in collaboration with a company of our choice. My team formed a collaboration with the danish company Faber A/S, and we designed an electric motor solution to an existing curtain system.
I also did a small subproject on user centered design for this. I tested the installation manual that came along with the curtain system we were handed from Faber. For this task I used video to document the observations I made of the end user while he was installing the system in a staged setting, so that I later could analyze his steps, and record all he said during. This method worked very well, especially as the manual turned out to be quite poor. From the data I collected I could pinpoint exactly where the user got confused, and could by that improve the manual.
Important keywords for the project was:
- Motor solution design
- Industrial design
- User studies
- Video observations
If you find this interesting, here are three other projects that might interest you as well...